Monday, February 2, 2009

Mel's voice: Getting the hang of this working mother thing




So, Mr. Finn Takeo Kelsey, you are 5 months and 2 days old today. I can finally say that I am getting the hang of this job. It has taken me all this time to come to the conclusion that I am a decent working mother, maybe even a pretty good working mother.


Mondays are my work from home days. Today, you slept in until 7:30, while your working mom got up at 6 am to log into her computer and start some work. You gave me an hour and half of solid uninterrupted work time. Amazing. Then while you nursed, I typed emails with one hand. You didn't even flinch as I stretched over your hungry cute little body. You allowed me 2 more hours of work while I described to you each little work task that I was doing in great detail. You really do like to be a part of everything. I never realized how interesting and amusing explaining excel spreadsheets could be until you came along, Finners. You went down for your first of 3 naps today like a champ. Hardly fussy at all. An hour and a half later you awoke with big smiles and allowed me to do more work while I bounced you on my lap. We had lunch together. You with a bowl of mushy rice cereal (see cute pictures) and me with a turkey sandwich. In the afternoon, you allowed me to do lots more work in between story time. Then you went down for your second nap of the day. Still not too much fussiness. Kid, you make my job so easy.


Thanks for being a lovely and easy kid. The lovely and easy kid that went down for his third nap of the day (after screaming his head off) so mom has time to write this post. You are the best coworker and baby a mom could ask for.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

of course you are a great working mother!
finn is so cute in those photos.
thx for sending the list of baby stuff. will input it and then send you the info about checking the revised list so far. we appreciate all that you've done to help us.

Anonymous said...

Sounds like Finn actually helps worker productivity! Maybe he could be an office mascot!