Saturday, January 10, 2009

Mel's voice: Pump up the jam

Ok, so I have been back at work for over a month now. And it is great to be back at work. I have adult conversations. I have a break from a teething baby. I actually wear something other than my black yoga pants and tank top each day.

There is a huge downside to being back at work, though. The whole breastpumping thing!! So, we started out with a really nice single boob pumper extraordinaire. It worked well. Finners did a great job with emptying them out, so the SBPE did not have to work that hard. I was under the impression that I was expressing enough milk. But, Finn started getting a little hungrier and I started to produce a lot less milk. Our formerly MASSIVE frozen milk supply was dwindling.

We wanted to figure out a way to fix the situation. So we purchased the Double Boob Pumper Supreme, the Medela Pump in Style. And oh lord can that thing pump. I am a freaking milk producing machine. Our DBPS has made my life so much better. It takes less time to get more milk.

Additionally, I also introduced Fenugreek capsules into my pill taking regimen. I take 6 a day, 3 at a time, 2 times a day. It has definitely helped the milk production. And it makes my pee smell like maple syrup. Yes, I did smell my urine and it truly is sweet pee!!

Unfortunately, even with the DBPS and my maple syrup pee pills on our side, the milk supply was not enough. The kid can chug a 4 oz bottle of milk like a frat boy can shotgun a can of MGD.

So we introduced formula. Initially, it was not working. Finn knows what mom's milk tastes like and this fake stuff was not fooling him. So Jesse had the brilliant idea of giving him a hybrid bottle (1/2 milk, 1/2 formula). And for a week now it has been working brilliantly.

Long story short, DBPS +Maple Syrup Pee Pills + Formula= Happily Fed Baby + Relieved Mom

No comments: