Sunday, August 10, 2008

Mel's voice: I think that I am beginning to understand the power of parenting

Yesterday, I got really really excited and eager to birth this baby. I went to my best friend from Kindergarten's wedding and there were so many lovely little babies there, I got so jealous. I wish that my little Finnbug was there to experience it all. He's not all cooked yet, so I can't really wish that upon my little baby, but I still wish that I could have danced with him in my arms all night.
Weddings are the coolest thing ever. I swear I think that I cried more at this wedding than any other wedding I have ever attended. I don't think that I even cried this much at my own wedding. And I am a cryer. Lately, I think this having a baby thing is making me even more emotional. Kylie's dad gave this lovely speech talking about how when little lovely little girl was born, he promised that he would always take care of her and love her for the rest of his life. It's silly, but the only thing I could think of was that one day Jesse will give the same kind of speech for our son and our future children and he and I will cry just as much that day as we did yesterday. Parenting is always starting to effect me in ways that I never thought possible. I mean, this child has not even exited my womb yet and I already have so much love for this little man. I already have hopes and dreams that I am instilling into his growing little brain in utero. I know it may seem premature, but I feel that, since I have become a parent (in some sense), I can really relate to or at least comprehend all of the emotions and feelings that her dad was feeling last night when he gave his youngest daughter away. You start out with this little being growing inside of you and all you really want to do is protect it and nurture it until it just grows into this great strong, intelligent individual that hopefully one day will have babies and you can see them go through the same epiphany that you do. Dude, this last month of pregnancy sure is emotional. Ok, that is enought of my sappiness.

Here's a funny little note from last night. I used to be a good dancer. I would get on the dancefloor and shake my bootie. I had rhythm and movement and looked decently good when I was really liked the music. Well, it's gone! This child has temporarily ( I hope) taken that away from me. Jesse's funny comment was something to the effect of "You have part of a white man inside of you now." I now dance like a pregnant white man. Please lord give me back my rhythm.

2 comments:

kymck said...

Sorry we made you cry! Thank you so much for being there with us. Love you. Kylie

Unknown said...

You dance your preggie white man dance!! :)